The strength of the MALICES team is based on its pooled complementary skills in applied mathematics, computer science and process engineering, for a cross-fertilisation of methods and tools. MALICES develops integrated mathematical/computational approaches that are designed to deal with the bottlenecks specific to its domain, and that are customised for each subject under study.
Scientific objectives and research strategy
The main research questions of the MALICES team are: which representations, approaches, methods and tools should be used to model a complex food system?
- Starting from a question about a food process, the MALICES team adopts a methodological approach based on:
- Collecting and formalising all available knowledge;
- Developing, adapting and coupling models;Integrating knowledge from various sources, including experimental data, to develop an integrated model;
- Relying on robust optimisation (artificial evolution, genetic algorithms), visualisation and interaction for learning parameters and structures;
- Considering uncertainty about knowledge and data.
Our activities in a few keywords
Model coupling, formalism coupling, human expertise, interactive learning, optimisation, visualisation, uncertainty.
Our research objective: development of concepts, methods and tools for modelling and analysing complex biological and food systems.
Our study models:
All subjects of relevance to the CEPIA Division and the UMR GMPA
CAFE (FP7, 2008–2013): "Computer-Aided Food processes for control Engineering".
DREAM (FP7, 2008–2013): "Design and development of REAlistic food Models with well- characterised micro- and macro-structure and composition".
Carnot Qualiment Institute-MODENA Project (2012-2015): An integrated approach to the deconstruction of liquid and semi-liquid food model matrices.
Ongoing and defended PhDs of the MALICES team and the GMPA research unit are available on the corresponding web pages.
Members of the team can be contacted:
- by phone: +33 (0)1 30 81 + extension (click on member name).
- by e-mail: email@example.com