Unité Mixte de Recherche ECOSYS / Pôle Eco&Phy
Route de la Ferme
F-78850 Thiverval-Grignon (France)
Tel: (+33)188.8.131.52.51 Fax: (+33)184.108.40.206.63
Mail: Benoit.Gabrielle @ agroparistech.fr
Education & Background
Engineering Degree in Energetics (1993), Ecole Centrale Paris.
Ph. D. in Energetics (1996), Ecole Centrale Paris.
Accreditation to supervise research (2006)
University of Jussieu, Department of Earth Sciences, Paris, France
Topic: `Environmental assessment of agro-ecosystems. An integrated approach to manage agri-environmental risks.'' (click here for text)
1993-1996, INRA Bioclimatology, Grignon, Ph. D. student
1997-1998, Institute of Arable Crops Research, Rothamsted (UK), visiting scholar
1998, Dept of Soil Crop and Atmospheric Sciences, Cornell University, visiting scholar.
1999-2007, Junior Research Scientist, Environment and Arable Crops Research Unit, National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA).
Current position (2008 - ):
Full Professor in Environmental Biophysics, AgroParisTech
Leader of the 'Biosphere-Atmosphere' research group at the joint Environment and Arable Crops Research Unit (INRA AgroParisTech)
- Integrated assessment of agricultural systems, Life Cycle Analysis
- Simulation of various environmental emissions with soil-crop models (trace-gases, nitrate leaching, pesticides)
- Compared environmental balance of various pest management stragies
- Environmental assessment of energy crops
- Sustainability assessment for bioenergy chains
Current and recently completed projects:
IMproved Assessment of the Greenhouse gas balance
Improved logistics for biomass supply from energy crops
A toolbox to optimize biomass supply
Development of a license for commercial production of second generation ethanol via enzymatic hydrolysis.
- Member of Scientific Organising Committee of European Society of Agronomy ( ESA ) Modelling symposia in 2001 and 2004
- Lead-author for the Special Report on Renewable Energy of the International Panel of Climate Change (2008-2011)
- Member of Scientific Committee of the EcoTechs Conference (2008)
- Member of Scientific Committee of the 16th N Workshop (2009)
- Member of Scientific Committee of the AGRO2010 conference of the European Society of Agronomy (2010)
- Member of Scientific Committee of the European Biomass Conference in 2012
- Member of Scientific Committee of the LCA Food Conference in 2012
- Coordinator of the sub-programme on Sustainable feedstock supply and bioenergy chains of the Bioenergy Joint Programme of the European Energy Research Alliance (2009 - )
- Member of the Editorial Board of Global Change Biology Bioenergy (2008-); IF (2011): 3.7
- Member of the Editorial Board of Biofuels
- Scientific advisor of the LCA project of AgroTransfert Picardie
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Bioenergy programme of the French National Research Agency (2008-2009)
- Member of theTechnical Committee on the life-cycle assessment of biofuels in France (2007-2010)